At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

January 5, 2008

I Think My Publisher Is Ripping Me Off

"I have not read your novel ALL OR NOTHING yet, but I have ordered it on Amazon. It sounds intriguing. I have a question about a poetry contest I entered a few weeks ago. The company has emailed to say that I am a semi-finalist and that my poem will be published in their poetry anthology. They want me to purchase a copy of the anthology . . ."

Enough. I know where this is going. Yes, it sounds like a scam. There are many poetry "contests" in which all of the contestants win or are semi-finalists and are published in the company's anthology. The winner is then encouraged to purchase copies of the over-priced anthology to give to family and friends.

This is not a contest, emailer, because everybody who enters wins. My daughter won when she was in third grade. Think about it. These people make money by having you and every other entrant purchase the anthology. They are in the business of selling anthologies, not judging contests.

Please check out the following website, Predators and Editors, before you submit your work to a company that you think is shady. http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/

There are many poets and writers eager to get published and there are quite a few shady companies out there who will pretend to legitimacy in order to steal their money.

Thanks,

Preston

No comments: