At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

January 6, 2008

What Is Your Favorite John Cheever Story?

"Preston,

I see that you like John Cheever. I am also a fan of John Cheever! What is your favorite John Cheever story? My favorite is THE CHASTE CLARISSA."

Easy question. I admire John Cheever's body of work--my favorite story of his is THE COUNTRY HUSBAND, which resonated for me way back when. Though I was not a quietly suffering yankee suburbanite of manners, I was quietly suffering. I liked the story so much that I retyped the first five pages of it as practice--then I wrote my first Elwyn and Sister Morrisohn story using the identical sentence pattern of that story--then I wrote a poem based on it.

Then, like Francis Weed in the story, I tried to sleep with the babysitter.

I did not succeed.

Preston

No comments: