At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

January 6, 2008

I Love the Degenerate P

"I just finished ALL OR NOTHING and could not wait to write a review for it on Amazon.com, which I did, and to contact you to ask a couple questions.

First of all, I think it is a great book, I have never read anything like it and I do not see how you would be able to write a sequel. You covered all angles in the first book.

Second, P. I love P. Why? What is your formula to make this otherwise vile character so endearing to the reader?"

Thanks for the questions. Hmmm. Okay, the sequel deals with P's son, and while I did cover pretty much the entire spectrum of addiction in the first book, I am a writer who loves to explore character and there are layers and layers of P's son's character that merit exploring. While P was a poor bus driver born in the early sixites, this son is a young, good-looking athlete coming of age in present day . . . note also that this is the age of online gambling . . . and P's wife now becomes the MOTHER of a gambler . . . and the kid is . . . lucky.

And Question # 2. I have no formula for making P lovable, except that I withhold judgment and allow you to experience him the way the characters in the story experience him--he is truly a nice guy, that is not fake, and so you will like him as they like him.

So if there is a formula to creating likable charatcers, then it is this: State the facts without bias or adornment, let the character be on the page who he is.

Thanks,

Preston

No comments: