At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

December 30, 2007

Should I Copyright my manuscript?

"I have written a new novel that I think has a great chance for commmercial success that I would like you to look at. I am also sending it out to many agents and publishers. Before I do that, should I have it copyrighted?"

Yes, have it copyrighted.

A few years ago I would have told you not to worry about that; I would have told you that no one is likely to steal your manuscript in this business; I would have told you to use the poor man's copyright; i.e., send a copy of the manuscrip to yourself via the U.S. Post Office and do not break the seal until you need to prove your case in court.

These days, now that I have seen what looks like versions of my work and my friends' works in film and what not, I am now advising that all writers copyright their work.

Do it.

Thanks,

Preston

No comments: