At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

January 4, 2008

These Are the Things That Drive a Gambler Mad

So . . .

Last night I was playing Parchesi with my kids. I was winning. Yippieee! I got two of my pawns home and had the last two in the zone waiting to be sent home. Unfortunately, they were occupying the same spot and they both needed a "7," a difficult roll, to get home. In other words, I needed to roll a "7" twice in order to win.

My lead quickly dwindled as I waited to roll a "7." I was rolling everything, it seemed, but a "7." Eventually, my son and daughter got their pawns into positon. They looked like they were positioned to overtake me while I was waiting for that stingy "7," and I needed two of them!

Then suddenly, I rolled a "7."

Yippieee!

Now all I needed was one more "7" to win.

When my turn came again, I rolled a "7." Game over. Papa wins!!!!

My daughter said, "Well, you got your lucky "7."

So the next day, as I was going to check the winning numbers in the Cash-3, my daughter said, "I hope you played 7s because you won with them last night in Parchesi."

What a strange thing for the child to say.

When I checked the winning numbers, my jaw dropped.

777.

The 7s had played.

Now granted, I do not gamble anymore, but good googly moogly if I had had the slightest inkling that the 7s were going to play, I would have racked up.

And not just one 7, but three of them.

These are the things that drive gamblers mad.

Sad Preston tonight

Sad, sad Preston tonight

No comments: