At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

June 3, 2013

My Luckiest Numbers

The luckiest numbers for me? It's a three-way tie. 232. 737. And 464. Just like P in the novel. Those were my numbers. The most unlucky? That's easy too. 1964. Every time I went to my storage unit, 4196, I would tell the clerk, "That's my birth year boxed. I was born in 1964." He would always tell me, "Then you should play it." Of course, I wouldn't because of something I told you on this bog before, I never win PLAY-4. Never. I won once on a quick pick boxed for 50 cents, but that's it. Nothing more. But very often after I went to unit 4196, that night in the PLAY-4, a boxed form of 1964 would play. But not if I played it! Noooo. It would never do that. Why should it? PLAY-4 hates me. But not CASH-3. I can't tell you how many times my lucky numbers hit in CASH-3. Yes, boy. I would put in a couple grand and then boom! I'd be rewarded for my patience with $500. A couple grand in: a mere $500 out. Lucky in CASH-3 my butt. Do the math. Thanks, Preston.

No comments: