At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

June 3, 2013

Do you still feel the Monkey on your back?

No. . . Not really. At first, yes. Oh it was very bad. I had these dreams. My fingers would be like tapping the PLAY button on my pant leg. I would be doing this a while before I noticed or someone pointed it out to me. It was in my subconscious. That's how deep it was. But that is to be expected when you were in it is hard and as long as I was. I got help in 2003, about the time I wrote the novel. There were a few slip ups . . . heck, there were a lot of slip ups, but eventually it took. That is my message to you--it will take if you want it hard enough and you work hard at it. The folk who won't get fixed are those who refuse to admit that they are broken. By the time the book was published in 2007, the monkey was on his way out. But he's not gone. He's sitting outside on my porch waiting to be invited back in. But he's like that vampire girl in "let Me In." He can't enter unless I invite him in. Thanks, Preston

No comments: