At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

July 19, 2008

Wolf Girl 2

Q: When did you publish your first novel and how did you feel about it? Wolfgirl.

A: I self-published my first novel HOOCHIE MAMA in 2001 and I felt great
about it.

I had another book that was supposed to come out that year,
CHURCHBOYS AND OTHER SINNERS (Carolina Wren Press, 2003), but there
were delays at the publishing house and so the book was put on hold.

I self-published that first book because I was tired of delays. I wanted
control. I wanted to see my name in print. I wanted to feel good. I
wanted to dance on the ceiling. When it came out, I danced on the
ceiling.

HOOCHIE MAMA is self-published, but it is well edited and it
says what I wanted it to say. I got wh at I wanted--control.

Thanks,

Preston

No comments: