At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

June 18, 2008

Four Books I Was Born to Write

Q: I haven't bought your book yet but I read the Times review. That was a great review and I hope it helps with sales! Your blogs are very interesting. I will not ask you whether you are left or right because I read in one of your older posts that you do not discuss sex, religion, or politics with strangers. Can I ask what book you're working on now?

A: Thanks for your support. Let's see . . . I am working on a couple of things right now: a short story collection about serial killers; and an insider's novel about the car sales business.

All or Nothing is an important novel for me because it represents one of the Four books I Was Born to Write: the daddy book; the car salesman book; the church book; and the gambling book.

So I wrote the gambling book. That one is out of the way.

I'm working on the car salesman book now. I'm not going to make too many friends with that book. I'll make it humorous so maybe they don't kill me.

I wrote the church book, sort of, with Churchboys and Other Sinners, a collection of stories--but I am on the verge of completing the church NOVEL, The Faithful.

The daddy book--that one I can't write just yet. I'll write that one when I grow up.

No comments: