At the Pen Festival 2010

At the Pen Festival 2010
© PEN American Center/Susan Horgan. All rights reserved. Please contact media@pen.org for usage and rights.

February 7, 2008

Is Writing for Everyone?

"Professor I am amazed at your gift. Not everyone can write, especially when it comes to putting words (not just any words) together. It is said that a writer has a profound imagination. I can truly relate. My imagination is interesting. Certain things that come to my mind are like, huh? I always wanted to write a book, but fear would always prevent me. What do you think? Should I? You are the perfect person to answer me honestly. May your imagination, produce more books for me and for everyone else! M.M."

Thanks for the question, M.M.

Is writing for everyone? That is a good question. I'm going to begin my answer by paraphrasing something I heard around the time I was in grad school, though I am not sure who said it, or where I heard it from. It is this: By the time you are 16, you have at least one book in you--your autobiography; by the time you are sixty, you have at least one other book in you, someone else's biography--your husband's, your child's.

I believe that we do have several books in us. Are we willing to do the work to get to the place where we are skilled enough to set these stories down? Do we have the drive (or endurance) to write 300 to 400 pages? I believe that it can be done. I believe that each of us can write that ONE book at least.

But does writing that one book make you a WRITER? Do you love words and sentences? Do you yourself love to read? Do you have many stories in your head? Are you constantly trying to phrase things more beautifully, more forcefully? Do you love the craft of writing and revision?

No, in that sense, I do not believe that writing is for everyone, or more correctly stated, not everyone is a writer.

Thus, everyone can write at least one book; but not everyone is a WRITER.

Everyone has at least one story to tell, but a writer is a storyTELLER, descended from a long, proud tradition of storytellers, extending back to a time before there was even such a thing as the written word.

In fact, go read this very brief but cool story by Spencer Holst, "The Zebra Storyteller," and you'll see what I'm talking about. It has me nodding my head everytime I read it.

http://www.archipelago.org/vol3-1/holst.htm

Thanks, MM, now go write that book. You have passed the landmark of 16. After you have finished that book, if you still have the drive to write then you are probably a writer. Welcome to the family.

Preston

No comments: